Have you ever dropped a glass of red wine on your white carpet? Or maybe your pet friend left you something not so nice on the floor of your living room? No matter what the reason is, stains on the carpet are a problem for any homeowner.
Not only do they make your home look bad, but they can also be a place where germs and allergens grow.
But don’t worry, because in this piece I’ll show you some of the best and most creative ways to get stains out of carpets so they look brand new again.
So, get a cup of coffee and get ready to finally get rid of those tough spots!
Carpet Stain Removal
Types of Carpet Stains
There are many different kinds of carpet spots, and each one must be cleaned in a different way.
The most common types of carpet spots are those that can be cleaned with water, those that are made of protein, and those that are made of oil.
Stains that can be cleaned up with water are the easiest to get out of rugs.
Soda, alcoholic drinks, latex paint, jelly, and fruit are all examples of marks that can be removed with water.
The best way to get rid of a mark that is made of water is to clean it right away.
After taking out any big pieces, you can clean it with a little normal water.
Another common type of carpet stain is one that comes from proteins.
Blood, milk, bodily fluids, meat, and meat juices are all examples of spots that are made of proteins.
These kinds of spots can be hard to get out, so you should clean them as soon as you can.
Carpet spots that are made of oil are the hardest to get out.
Lipstick, cooking grease, salad sauces, and petroleum jelly are all kinds of oil-based stains.
These kinds of spots tend to stick to fats and oils, which makes them hard to get rid of.
Most carpets can be cleaned with a light cleaner if they have been treated to fight stains.
Other Common Types of Carpet Stains
Wax and gum stains, cigarette stains, dirt and mud stains, ink stains, and pet stains are also common types of carpet stains.
It’s important to clean carpet spots as soon as possible so they don’t set in and become harder to get out.
Different kinds of stains need different ways to clean them, so it’s important to figure out what kind of stain it is before you try to clean it.
DIY Carpet Stain Removal
Using common household things, you can clean up carpet stains yourself.
Mix 1 teaspoon of mild dishwashing liquid with 1 quart of warm water and 1/4 teaspoon of white vinegar to make a homemade stain remover for carpets.
Apply to the spot.
Mix 14 cup of white vinegar and 14 cup of water for rugs made of natural fibers.
For tough, ground-in dirt and other stains, mix 1 tablespoon of vinegar with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch to make a paste.
Use a cloth to rub the paste into the stain.
Baking soda can also be used to clean bodily fluids out of rugs.
When using do-it-yourself carpet stain removers, it’s important to act quickly and blot the stain instead of rubbing it, which can spread the particles and push them deeper into the carpet’s fibers.
Before putting the solution on the mark, you should also test it on an area that won’t be seen.
Commercial Carpet Stain Removers
If the things you can do yourself don’t work, you can also buy carpet spot removers.
But it’s important to follow the directions carefully and not soak the spot too much, which can damage the backing of the carpet.
Stains will happen, but they don’t have to stay there forever.
If you know how and have the right tools, it’s easy to get most stains out of your rugs.
Remember to move quickly, figure out what kind of stain it is, and clean it the right way.
Whether you use a do-it-yourself method or a store-bought stain remover, make sure to follow the directions carefully and test the solution on a spot that won’t be seen before you use it on the stain.
When to Call a Professional
There are a number of signs that it’s time to call a professional carpet cleaner to get rid of stains.
If you’ve tried to get rid of a stain with regular stain removers and it’s still there and smells bad, it’s time to call an expert cleaner.
Blood spots need to be taken care of right away, or they will leave a mark that can’t be cleaned with regular products.
By the time a blood spot on a carpet is cleaned up, the stain is already deep in the fibers.
Some things used to get rid of dried blood spots, like hydrogen peroxide, can also change the color of your carpet.
When this happens, the best thing to do is hire a skilled stain remover.
Address Stains as Soon as Possible
If there are spots on your carpet that won’t come out, it’s best to take care of them as soon as possible.
The longer you wait, the more time the mark has to set, which makes it harder to get rid of.
Most spots can be taken out or lessened by a professional carpet cleaner, no matter how long they’ve been there.
But you can’t be sure that professional carpet cleaners will be able to get out every spot on your carpet, especially if they haven’t seen it.
Professional carpet cleaning may not be enough to get rid of spots that have been there for a long time.
Avoid Using Cleaning Products
In addition to getting a professional carpet cleaner, you should avoid using cleaning products to get stains out of your carpet.
Even though using cleaning products to get rid of spots on your carpet is better than letting them build up or sink into the floor, it is best not to use them at all.
Cleaning products can hurt the fibers of your carpet and make it look dirty.
Understanding Your Carpet
Yes, it can be harder to get spots out of some carpets than others.
When it comes to marks, each type of fiber is different.
Oil-based stains are very hard to get out of synthetic fibers like nylon and polyester because the oils in the stain stick to the oils in the petroleum in the fibers.
Wool fibers can also be hard to clean, and they need to be cleaned by professionals, which can be expensive.
Wool can be damaged by scrubbing, so tough spots should be cleaned with warm water and white vinegar, and the carpet should be blotted and brushed.
How easy it is to care for and clean a carpet can also depend on how long the carpet pile is.
Longer pile lengths have more surface area, so they naturally draw more dirt than shorter or medium pile lengths.
Some carpets are made to be stain-resistant, but others are not.
Knowing how the carpet is made can also help you get rid of stains.
For example, you can clean nylon with warm water and a rag.
If the stain is stubborn, you can add a drop of dish soap to the warm water.
Blended carpet can be hard to clean, but water can be used, and if the spot is stubborn, a little dish soap or detergent can be added.
Getting carpet spots out can be hard, but if you know what to do and have the right tools, you can do it.
Remember to clean up stains as soon as possible, don’t use cleaning products, and know the type of carpet you have to make it easier to get rid of spots.
If nothing else works, don’t be afraid to call in a carpet cleaner.
Carpet Stain Removal: Tips and Tricks
Many people love their pets, but they can leave stains on the rugs that don’t look good.
There are several ways to get pet stains out of rugs, which is good news.
Here are some good ways to deal with the issue:
Vinegar and Salt Solution
- Mix ½ cup vinegar, 2 cups water, 1 tablespoon dish detergent, and 1 tablespoon of salt in a bowl.
- Apply the solution to the stained area with a sponge or washcloth.
- Blot with a dry towel and repeat the process if necessary.
- Baking soda can also be applied to the spot and left to deodorize the area for 24 hours.
- Commercial carpet products and vacuums will also treat the smell as they clean the stain.
Hydrogen Peroxide Solution
- Mix 1/2 cup of hydrogen peroxide and 1 teaspoon of liquid dish detergent in a bowl.
- Sprinkle baking soda on the soiled area and pour the liquid solution over it.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes, then blot with a dry towel and repeat the process if necessary.
White Vinegar and Baking Soda Solution
- Soak the stain with white vinegar, then sprinkle a generous layer of baking soda over the soaked stain.
- Let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then vacuum it up.
- It is important to blot the stain instead of rubbing it to avoid spreading the stain and untwisting the carpet’s pile, making it look matted.
When dealing with pet stains, it’s best to act as soon as possible so that the color comes out more easily.
If you want to avoid infectious diseases, don’t touch urine or poop without gloves.
If the damage has gone all the way down into the carpet padding, some parts of the carpet may need to be replaced.
To keep your pet from staining the same spot again, make it unappealing or out of reach.
Removing Tough Stains
It can be hard to get tough spots like red wine or coffee out of carpet, but there are a few good ways to do it. Here are some tips:
Blot Up the Spill
- The first step is to blot up as much of the spill as possible with a clean, dry cloth.
- Avoid using strong cleaners like vinegar and hydrogen peroxide right away, as they can set the stain and even discolor the carpet.
- Instead, use a mild cleaning solution like a mixture of 1/4 teaspoon of clear dish soap and 1 cup of water.
- Pour the solution into a spray bottle and apply a generous amount to the soiled area, but don’t saturate it.
- Let the cleaning solution soak into the fibers for a few minutes before moving on to the next step.
- Lightly wet the stain with warm water to loosen the dried coffee.
- Then, blot the area with a dry white cloth starting at the edges of the stain and moving inward to prevent the color from seeping to surrounding fibers.
- Continue to wet and blot the stain until no more coffee transfers from the carpet onto your cloth.
- An effective homemade coffee stain remover consists of one tablespoon of liquid dish soap, one tablespoon of white vinegar, and two cups of warm water.
- Combine these in a bowl and stir the solution with a spoon.
- Apply the cleaner with a clean cloth.
- Blot from the edges of the stain and move inward.
Red Wine Stains
- Blot the stain as well as you can with a clean, dry cloth.
- Pour club soda on it.
- Blot again.
- Pour more club soda.
- Blot again, and so on, until the stain is gone.
- If you don’t have access to club soda, detergent or vinegar, there is one last option to help remove a red wine spill on carpet — hydrogen peroxide.
- Unfortunately, this option could cause some carpet discoloration, so be sure to test your carpet in a discreet area with hydrogen peroxide before using it to remove a red wine stain from carpet.
Products and Solutions
Effective Products for Carpet Stain Removal
Various sites say that there are a number of effective products for getting stains out of carpets.
Here are some of the most-chosen options:
- Rocco & Roxie Supply Co. Oxy Stain Remover: This product is a favorite among testers because it is effective on both carpet and upholstery and leaves behind a pleasant scent.
- Nature’s Miracle Carpet Shampoo: This product is specifically designed for pet stains and is highly effective.
- Bissell Professional Pet Stain and Odor Removing Formula: This product is highly rated and effective on a variety of stains.
- Puracy Natural Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner: This natural option is effective on a variety of stains and is safe for use around children and pets.
- Folex Instant Carpet Spot Remover: This highly rated product is effective on a variety of stains and is easy to use.
- Woolite Advanced Pet Stain & Odor Remover + Sanitize: This germ-killing carpet stain remover is effective on a variety of stains and sanitizes soft surfaces.
When picking a carpet stain remover, it’s important to think about how well it works, how it smells, how easy it is to use, and how safe it is.
The best stain remover for a carpet relies on the kind of stain and where it is.
Natural Solutions for Carpet Stain Removal
Yes, there are ways to get rid of carpet stains that are natural and good for the environment.
Carpet spots can be removed safely with many things you already have at home.
Here are some examples:
- Baking soda, vinegar, and water: Allow the baking soda to sit atop the stain for at least an hour and ideally overnight, then mix vinegar and water in equal parts in a spray bottle and spray the mixture on top of the baking soda.
- White vinegar and water: This solution can be used to clean natural fiber carpets. For oily stains, rubbing alcohol or vodka can be used to break down the stain.
- Water: Absorb as much of the stain as possible with white towels, then blot with water-dampened white cloths until the stain is gone.
- Hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and dish soap: This mixture can be used to remove tough stains.
- Natural carpet cleaner products: There are natural carpet cleaner products available for purchase, such as Bissell PET Eco-Friendly Natural Carpet Cleaner and Bastion Liquid Non-Toxic Natural Carpet Cleaner.
When using natural or eco-friendly solutions to get rid of carpet stains, it’s important to test a small amount of the solution in a hidden spot to make sure it doesn’t change the color of the carpet fibers.
To keep the stain from getting deeper into the fibers, it is also important to dab or blot the stain instead of rubbing it.
It can be a pain to deal with carpet stains, but there are many effective tools and natural ways to get rid of carpet stains.
When picking a carpet stain remover, think about how well it works, how it smells, how easy it is to use, and how safe it is.
And when using natural treatments, check the stain in small areas and dab or blot it to keep it from spreading.
With these tips and tools, you can keep your carpets looking clean and new.
Carpet Steam Cleaning: The Ultimate Solution for Carpet Stain Removal
Carpet steam cleaning is a highly effective method for removing stubborn stains from carpets.
It involves using hot water and steam to penetrate deep into the carpet fibers, loosening dirt, grime, and stains.
The high temperature of the steam also kills bacteria and germs, leaving your carpets clean and hygienic.
Steam cleaning is particularly useful for removing tough stains like pet urine, red wine, and coffee spills.
The heat and pressure of the steam break down the stain molecules, making them easier to remove.
Additionally, steam cleaning is a safe and eco-friendly option, as it doesn’t require the use of harsh chemicals.
If you’re struggling to remove stubborn stains from your carpets, consider hiring a professional carpet steam cleaning service.
They have the expertise and equipment to get your carpets looking like new again.
For more information:
Prevention and Maintenance
Carpet spots can be a real pain, but there are several ways to keep them from happening in the first place.
With a few easy steps, you can keep your rugs looking and feeling great for many years.
Using treatments that resist stains is one of the best ways to keep things from getting dirty.
Your carpets can be made more resistant to spills and spots by having a treatment put on them by a professional carpet cleaner.
This treatment adds a layer of protection to the top of your carpet.
This keeps things from getting into the carpet fibers and staining them.
If you want to buy new carpet, many of the fabrics already have this process on them.
Another way to keep things from getting stained is to clean up any spills right away.
Accidents and spills are two of the most common things that can go wrong with rugs, so avoiding them will help them look their best.
You can also clean your mats and rugs on a daily basis to keep dirt from getting on your carpet.
You can also buy things like baking soda, clean rags, club soda, clean towels, rubbing alcohol, and foam that gets rid of stains.
So, you can get rid of spots faster and keep them from getting set in.
It’s best not to eat or drink on the carpet, especially in high-traffic areas or places where food, drinks, or pets are often left out.
There are a few things you can do to make sure your carpet stays clean and free of stains in the future.
A stain-resistant protection treatment is one of the best ways to keep new rugs from getting stains in the future.
This acts as a barrier and gives your carpet more protection from dry soiling and unexpected spills.
There are choices that are safe for wool carpets, and you can also protect carpets that have already been cleaned by giving them a deep clean.
With a professional carpet protection treatment like Clean & Protect, you can also get a stain protection guarantee that lasts for 12 months.
In conclusion, every homeowner or renter needs to know how to clean carpet stains.
But it’s important to think about how the goods and methods used affect our health and the environment.
As we try to keep our homes clean and healthy, let’s also make sure to use cleaning products that are good for the environment and don’t harm people.
By doing this, we can keep our rugs clean and also help make the world a healthier place.
Remember that a clean home isn’t just about how it looks.
It’s also about our health and the health of those around us.
So, let’s be aware of what we do and take responsibility for how our cleaning habits affect the world.
Looking for a new Carpet cleaners?
Choosing a gadget can be very difficult if you know nothing about the technology.
Some will pay for features they do not need while others may not consider what they really want.
So I created this quick, newbie guide to help you focus on what is really important to you:
Links and references
Personal reminder: (Article status: rough)