Tired of always having to clean up pet hair from your floors and furniture? Do you have to vacuum more than once a day to get rid of those annoying strands of hair? If so, it is time to buy a canister vacuum for pet hair.
It will not only save you time and energy, but it will also clean your home better.
In this article, I will talk about the benefits of a canister vacuum made just for pet hair and why it is a game-changer for anyone with pets or who lives with them.
Get ready to finally say goodbye to pet hair.
Understanding Pet Hair Canister Vacuums
A pet hair canister vacuum is a powerful vacuum cleaner made to get rid of pet hair, dirt, and dust from surfaces like hardwood, tile, carpets, and furniture.
It is a powerful machine that uses strong suction to remove clumps of hair from surfaces like shag rugs and high-pile carpets.
Pet hair on carpets and furniture is easy to clean up with a canister vacuum.
They are easier to move and carry than most upright vacuums.
They work well in homes with stairs and in hard-to-reach places.
Features of Pet Hair Canister Vacuums
The best canister vacuums for pet hair come with a wide range of attachments, like a crevice tool, an upholstery tool, and brush heads for both high-pile and low-pile carpets.
Some popular brands of canister vacuums for pet hair are:
- Kenmore 600 Series Friendly Lightweight Bagged Canister Vacuum with Pet PowerMate, Pop-N-Go Brush, 2 Motors, HEPA Filter
- Bissell Pet Hair Eraser® Premium Canister Vacuum with automatic floor type recognition that removes even the toughest dirt and hair on all floor types
- Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional Upright Vacuum NV356E which has a detachable canister for portable cleaning power.
Canister vacuums made for pet hair are made to pick up hair and dander from floors, carpets, and furniture.
They come with attachments for cleaning upholstery and usually have HEPA filters to keep allergens from going back into the air.
Canister vacuums for pet hair are made to pick up a lot of hair at once, so they are less likely to get clogged and their brushes are less likely to get tangled.
Canister versus Upright Vacuums
There are several ways that canister vacuums are different from upright vacuums.
The motor and dirt container on a canister vacuum are separate from the handle and power head.
The handle and head are connected to a canister that holds the motor and a dirt container by a hose.
Most of the time, canister vacuums are quieter than upright vacuums.
They also have better suction for bare floors and cost more.
On the other hand, upright vacuums clean carpets well, cost less, are easier to move around, and take up less space.
Features to Consider
There are a few things to look for in a pet hair canister vacuum to make sure it has the best suction power.
Experts say that suction power and filtration are the two most important things.
Pet hair and other debris will be easier to pick up with a vacuum that has strong suction power.
Filtration is also important because it helps keep allergens from getting back into the air by catching them.
Besides suction power and filtration, there are other things to think about:
- Anti-tangle brush head: can help prevent pet hair from getting tangled in the brush roll, which can reduce suction power over time.
- HEPA filter: essential for trapping allergens and preventing them from being released back into the air.
- Laser light: helps you see pet hair that might be difficult to spot otherwise.
- Attachments: look for a vacuum that comes with a crevice tool or upholstery tool for cleaning furniture and hard-to-reach areas. A motorized brush roll attachment can also be helpful for picking up pet hair from carpets and upholstery.
Overall, when choosing a pet hair canister vacuum, look for one with strong suction power, good filtration, an anti-tangle brush head, HEPA filter, laser light (optional), and attachments like a crevice tool or motorized brush roll attachment.
With these features, you can effectively clean your home of pet hair and dander and keep it clean and healthy.
Importance of Suction Power in Pet Hair Canister Vacuums
Units of Measurement for Suction Power
There are several ways to measure suction power, such as:
- Airflow (CFM): This is the force of the airflow across a surface that picks up dirt and moves it to the dust bag or container. Airflow is the most important specification for determining the cleaning ability of a vacuum cleaner.
- Air watts (AW): This is calculated using the formula (Air Flow (in CFM) x Vacuum (in inches of water lift))/8.5 = Air Watts. Air watts take into account both airflow and water lift to provide a more accurate measure of suction power.
- Water lift (inches of H20): This is what gives a vacuum cleaner the power to pick up or “lift” debris from the floor surface. Canister vacuums tend to have more power than other types of vacuums, but they can be bulkier and harder to maneuver.
- Amps: While amperage refers to electricity consumption and not power or cleaning ability per se, it can be used to compare the input power of one vacuum cleaner to another. This is because while input power is measured in watts, amps are converted into watts by multiplying by volts.
- Horsepower: This is a less common unit of measurement for suction power, but it is sometimes used to describe the power of a vacuum cleaner’s motor.
Choosing the Right Pet Hair Canister Vacuum
When choosing a canister vacuum for pet hair, it is important to think about what kind of home you have and how often you clean.
Here are some things to think about:
- Pet hair attachments: If you have pets, you may want a vacuum with specialized attachments for removing pet hair from carpets and upholstery. Look for a vacuum with a crevice tool, upholstery tool, and brush heads for high and low-pile carpets.
- Corded versus cordless: Cordless options may be convenient but lack the suction power of corded styles and may not have enough battery life for very large spaces.
- Surface type: The ideal suction power for a pet hair canister vacuum depends on the type of surface you are cleaning. Canister vacuums are ideal for cleaning your entire home, as they have powerful suction and tend to come with many attachments for various surfaces. The best canister pet hair vacuums need powerful suction to untangle clumps of hair from surfaces like high-pile carpets and shag rugs.
- Consumer Reports tests: Consumer Reports tests canister vacuums by measuring their suction power over time and their emissions. They also challenge vacuums with pet hair and other debris to test their performance on different surfaces. The Kenmore 200 Series BC4002 is a top-rated vacuum for high pile carpets that offers both performance and value.
When choosing a canister vacuum for pet hair, suction power is one of the most important things to think about.
Look for a vacuum with special attachments for pet hair, think about whether you need a corded or cordless model, and choose a vacuum with enough suction power for the surfaces you will be cleaning.
Consumer Reports tests canister vacuums so that you can make an informed choice.
Effect of Suction Power on Cleaning Performance
Pet Hair Canister Vacuum: The Importance of Suction Power
When you need to clean up pet hair, you need a canister vacuum with a lot of suction power.
The power of a vacuum’s suction is measured in water lift or sealed suction, which shows how well it can pick up dirt and dust from surfaces.
But airflow is the most important thing to look at when figuring out how well a vacuum cleaner can clean.
Airflow is measured in cubic feet per minute (CFM), and the force of this airflow across a surface is what picks up dirt and moves it to the dust bag or container.
Testing Canister Vacuums for Pet Hair
Consumer Reports tests canister vacuums by measuring how well they pick up dust and how much dust they put out.
They also test how well they work on different surfaces by putting pet hair and other junk in their way.
The Kenmore 200 Series BC4002 is a great canister vacuum that gets rid of pet hair and leaves floors clean.
It has clean emissions, and the airflow to the tools is strong.
This makes it a good choice if you use attachments to clean upholstery often.
Forbes says that the Dyson V15 Detect is one of the best vacuums for pet hair because it has the best balance of power, portability, strength, and ease of use.
It has strong suction that can pick up even pet hair that does not want to come out.
Adjusting Suction Power on a Pet Hair Canister Vacuum
A pet hair canister vacuum can be changed so that it has more or less suction power.
The automatic suction control on the BISSELL Pet Hair Eraser Bagless Canister Vacuum Cleaner makes sure that the suction power is at the right level for the best cleaning.
If you need to change the suction by hand, you can use the suction controls on the canister.
By pressing the minus sign, you can make the suction less.
Potential Downsides and Benefits of Pet Hair Canister Vacuums
If you have a pet hair canister vacuum with a lot of suction power, some hair might get stuck in the canister and make it hard to clean.
But this is not a big problem, and you can fix it by cleaning the canister regularly.
Another problem with canister vacuums in general is that they are usually bigger than other types of vacuums, so they take up more floor space when moving or storing them.
On the other hand, having a pet hair canister vacuum with a lot of suction power has a lot of good points.
Canister vacuums are known for their strong suction, which makes it easy to get rid of pet hair and smells from carpet piles.
They also tend to make less noise than other types of vacuums, which makes them easier to use.
Also, many pet vacuums have HEPA filters that trap allergens and dust particles, making them perfect for pet owners with allergies.
The Importance of HEPA Filter Canister Vacuum for Pet Hair Cleaning
When it comes to cleaning pet hair, a HEPA filter canister vacuum is a must-have tool.
HEPA (High-Efficiency Particulate Air) filters are designed to trap tiny particles, including pet dander and hair, that can cause allergies and respiratory problems.
Canister vacuums with HEPA filters are particularly effective in removing pet hair from carpets, upholstery, and hard floors.
They also prevent pet hair and dander from being released back into the air, making them ideal for households with pets.
HEPA filter canister vacuums come in various sizes and models, and some even have specialized pet hair attachments for more efficient cleaning.
Investing in a HEPA filter canister vacuum is a smart choice for pet owners who want to keep their homes clean and healthy.
For more information:
HEPA Canister Vacuums: Benefits, Surfaces, Maintenance & More
Maintenance of Pet Hair Canister Vacuums
Maintaining Your Pet Hair Canister Vacuum
Keeping your pet hair canister vacuum in good shape is important if you want it to work well and keep up its best performance.
Here are some tips on how to keep your vacuum in good shape:
Cleaning and Replacing Filters
To keep a pet hair canister vacuum’s suction power going, the manufacturer will tell you how often you should clean or replace the filters.
If you want to clean or replace the filters in your pet hair canister vacuum, you must follow the instructions from the manufacturer.
Here are some examples:
- Black+Decker recommends replacing the filter every six to nine months.
- Dyson suggests washing the filter at least once a month to help maintain suction power.
- Shark Navigator recommends cleaning the pre-motor filters every three months and the post-motor filter once per year.
- Dreame advises people who use their vacuums less frequently to clean HEPA filters after every three to six months.
Emptying the Bag or Collection Container
For your vacuum to work at its best, you must empty the bag or collection container when it is about two-thirds full.
If the bag or container is full, the vacuum will not be able to pick up as much pet hair and other debris.
Cleaning Washable Filters
Dirty filters block airflow and reduce suction power, so it is important to clean washable filters with warm water and mild detergent, then let them dry in the air.
Filters that can not be cleaned should be changed.
Checking for Clogs
Hoses, wands, nozzles, and tools should be checked for clogs before each vacuuming session.
The best way to clear clogged airways is with the handle of a broomstick.
In conclusion, pet owners who want to keep their homes clean and free of pet hair need a pet hair canister vacuum.
It is a powerful and versatile cleaning machine that can get rid of all kinds of pet hair and other dirt.
But when choosing a canister vacuum for pet hair, it is important to think about things like suction power, filtration, and how easy it is to use.
A pet hair canister vacuum is not only a tool for cleaning, but also an investment in your health and well-being.
Allergies and breathing problems can be caused by pet hair and dander, but a good vacuum can help stop these problems.
So, whether you have a pet or not, it is a good idea to buy a pet hair canister vacuum.
It will not only help you keep your house clean, but it will also make you healthier overall.
Cleanliness is next to godliness, as the saying goes, and a pet hair canister vacuum can help you do that.
So, go ahead and make the investment, and you will have a clean and healthy home for years to come.
Looking for a new robot vacuum?
Choosing a gadget can be very difficult if you know nothing about the technology.
Some will pay for features they do not need while others may not consider what they really want.
So I created this quick, newbie guide to help you focus on what is really important to you:
The best robot vacuum for you.
My article on the topic: